Here's a little exercise you can do yourself. Go get your keychain. Look at each key on it. Can you say which lock each key is for? Or are there some whose purpose escapes you? Are there some that you need, but perhaps don't have to carry around with you every day?
And how many of these damn bar-code mini cards do you have?
I remember getting rid of a number of these at some point. Now I realize that I no longer use the ones I have today.
- Shaws? I no longer go there since I moved.
- Here's another card for the pharmacy based on the insurance plan I'm no longer on.
- Hollywood video? Oh yeah, that's right. There used to be these places called video rental stores where you could rent movies and games. I used to go there before I found RedBox machines, never mind the price of some new DVDs going to $5.
- Borders? This was good when there was more of them around where I live, and I actually was on their membership plan. But at some point I faced the fact that I still have stacks of books that I've purchased but haven't gotten around to reading. I've been trying to cut down on frivolous book spending anyway, for the sake of saving money.
- Staples? OK, fine, we'll keep this. One little card can't hurt.