Here's a challenge you can do at home, even if you think it's a tidy home.
1) Get a mug or a cup that you're really not using.
2) Look around the room for pens, pencils, crayons, and markers.
3) Put them in the cup
4) Repeat steps 2-3 for the other rooms in the house
How did you do? I got 8 this time myself, and added them to the infamous "home pen cup".
BONUS ROUND CHALLENGE:
5) Test each pen.
6) If the pen works, put it back in the cup.
7) If it doesn't write, THROW THAT FUCKER AWAY! Yes, it's OK to throw away a pen that doesn't work. It happens. And you have more that DO work. Save yourself the future frustration and get rid of the pens that don't work.