On one side of my kitchen, you find the fridge, sink, stove, and all the cabinets. On the other side, you find this:
Some highlights, starting clockwise from the top left:
- A mixed pile of utility bill receipts, bank statements, pay stubs, and credit card statements. I have every single one of these saved, since...forever.
- A monitor box that contains some stuff I used to have at work and, well I'm not sure. I'd have to check.
- Cream concert poster. Did I buy that for my dad? I can't remember.
- Not seen in photo: hanging baskets in front of the window, containing empty bottles of Captain Morgan Private Stock rum, pots and pans, a stuffed Kermit the Frog, a stuffed gingerbread man, and other oddities.
- Also not seen in the photo: Under the black table, there are a number of boxes and papers, including a few full boxes of dishware that a friend gave me about 6 years ago.
- That big black cube on the top right is a microwave. My brother always asks if it's a bread maker.
- More papers and other oddities on the folding table, including some unidentified 3.5" floppy disks.
- Neon orange envelope that came with a parking ticket I got in January, even though I already paid on-line for it. Maybe I'm afraid that the day after I throw it out, the police will suddenly send me a summons and say I didn't pay it?
- A colorful carousel pencil sharpener (sharpen the pencil, and the carousel turns) sitting on top of an Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast" Thermos. It's probably safe to say that I'm the only person on the planet whose kitchen table includes such a configuration.
- That book from that friend that I wanted to finish last October because it looked really helpful.
- Sewing machine that I bought last year, still sitting on the floor in the original shopping bag.
- Paper shredder. Still unopened. Oh the irony.
- A blender that I bought in 2002. Still sitting in its original box, unopened.
- Several boxes of stuff I had to bring back from the office.
- Various issues of MAD magazine. I have had a subscription going for 23 years. Though I end up tossing recent issues onto a pile or other random places.
- Big blue bag of stuff that I moved out of my car. There's still a box or two of stuff in the car of course.
- Bottom center: my big 2008 Halloween mask.
- Top left: paint on the floor from when I spray-painted by 2007 Halloween costume. Laying down newspaper in the immediate area just didn't work.
- There's also an item under the table that's essentially paper and from June 2006, but it's so disgusting that if I told you what it was, you'd run away from me.
Though in the seven years I've been here, I don't think I have ever found a cockroach. Maybe they're scared. This is just one corner of one room.